12.16.2003

Frantasia
According to "Page Six," the fellow who made the movie The Kid Stays in the Picture, about producer Robert Evans, has decided to make a documentary about Fran Lebowitz. (Via Maud Newton.)

Here are Lebowitz's answers to Playboy's twenty questions, from 1984. (Via Maud Newton.)

An excerpt:

PLAYBOY: Which writers do you admire?

LEBOWITZ: Well, I prefer dead writers, because I don't see them at parties. Oscar Wilde, he's one of my favorites. I like Hawthorne very much. Enjoy Hawthorne even. Nabokov, Roland Barthes, Jane Austen, Henry James I admire very much. Twain I love. Twain I really love. I know he's very highly regarded, but I don't think he's taken very seriously. He wrote humorous things, and humorous writers are never taken seriously enough. In fact, they are always the most serious writers and the most serious people.

Cheever, John O'Hara -- O'Hara is really an underrated American writer. He is a much better writer than Fitzgerald. The Great Gatsby is a very adolescent book. In fact, I consider that book to be full of the basest sort of longing. And it's a lie. Hemingway I do not like. I'm not interested in that kind of butch statement. Faulkner I have never been able to read. And actually, I consider that a criticism of a writer, because if I can't read him, who can?